單字 「except」 和 「accept」 的拼寫都包含 「-cept」，發音也非常相似，所以不少人會將它們混淆。其實，「except」 和 「accept」 的意思大有不同。看主持人 Roy 的講解，學習辨析這兩個易混詞之間的區別。
Hi, I’m Roy and today I’m going to tell you when we use except and when we use accept.
These words can be confusing, but they have very different meanings.
Except means ‘excluding or not including’.
I love all types of film except horror films.
That means the only type of film I don’t like is horror.
I don’t drink coffee except the one I have in the morning.
So I only have one cup a day in the morning.
Accept means ‘to say yes to something’.
Dan asked me to go for a coffee and I said yes.
I accepted Dan’s offer.
You can also accept a situation that is often negative.
He accepted his ex-partner had met someone else.
I’d love to stay longer except we only have a minute.
1. 「Except」 的意思是 「除……之外，不包括」。
- I love all types of film except horror films.
- I’ve visited all parts of the UK except for Wales.
- I will buy all of these except that one.
2. 「Accept」 的意思是 「接受」，它可以表達 「同意，接受」 他人的邀請或建議，也可以表達 「接受，面對」（不好的）事情或狀況。
- I accepted Dan’s offer.
- She accepted the pay rise.
- He accepted his ex-partner had met someone else.
- You need to accept the fact that your plan has failed.