名詞 「person/persons、people/peoples」 的基本含義都是 「人」，但它們之間的具體區別是什麼？「Person」 和 「persons」，哪一個更加書面化？名詞 「peoples」 的特殊含義是什麼？看 「一分鐘英語」 視頻，學習分辨這四種 「人」 之間的區別。
Hi, I’m Dan from BBC Learning English and today I’m going to talk to you about person and persons, people and peoples.
A person is a human man, woman, or child. It is a singular countable noun. There was one person at the door.
The plural of person is people. It refers to a group or a number of human beings. It is a plural countable noun. There were three people at the door.
So how about persons?
Persons is a plural countable noun. It’s similar to people, but it’s considered more polite and more formal. It’s most often seen written down. This lift can hold a maximum of 15 persons.
Peoples is the countable plural form of people and comes from the other meaning of people. People can mean nation. The Aztecs were a people that lived in the Americas. Or, there are many peoples living on the Earth. They are all human – so far.
Person, persons, people and peoples
A person is a human man, woman, or child. It is a singular countable noun.
一個 「person」 可以是一個男人、女人或小孩，它是單數名詞。
- There was one person at the door.
- When did you see this suspicious person?
- She’s a very interesting person. You should talk to her.
The plural of person is people. It refers to a group or a number of human beings. It is a plural countable noun.
「People」 是 「person」 的複數形式，指一組人或一些人。「People」 是複數名詞。
- There were three people at the door.
- How many people do you know?
- The people who live here are very rich.
3. People and peoples
People can also mean nation. Peoples is the plural form of this meaning. Peoples means nations.
「People」 也可以表示 「民族」。「Peoples」 是 「people」 表達這個意思時的複數形式。「Peoples」 的意思是 「多個民族」。
- The Aztecs were a people that lived in the Americas.
- The English are a creative people.
- There are many peoples living on the Earth.
- When the peoples of the Earth unite, we will have peace.
Persons is a more formal, more polite form of people. It’s a plural countable noun and is most often seen written down – such as on signs, in newspapers and in the context of the law.
「Persons」 是 「people」 更正式、更禮貌的說法。它是複數名詞，多用於書面語中，比如在標語上、報紙上和法律文件中。
- This lift can hold a maximum of 15 persons.
- The police expect to catch the persons responsible for the theft.
- My client has never seen these persons before and so he is innocent.