1. In response to sentence A, which of the following options expresses doubt?
A: It was the referee’s fault that the team didn’t win.
a) I agree.
b) I agree up to a point.
c) I disagree.
d) That isn’t true.
2. In response to sentence A, which of the following options expresses doubt?
A: It’s only a matter of time before the economy improves.
a) I don’t follow that argument.
b) I’d go along with that.
c) I agree to an extent.
d) It’s hard to disagree.
3. Which of the following sentences expresses doubt?
a) I don’t know whether I’d entirely agree.
b) I don’t believe that’s true.
c) I don’t see it, myself.
d) I believe what you say.
4. Which of the following sentences does not express doubt?
a) But don’t you think that he has a right to know about this?
b) Perhaps, but that may not be all there is to it.
c) Well, possibly, but I think it will work out fine.
d) I’m afraid that’s not how I see it.
5. _______, but is it really that difficult.
a) I take your point
b) I take your idea
c) I take your thought
d) I take your statement
6. In response to sentence A, which of the following options expresses doubt?
A: The extremely hot weather in the UK last summer was definitely caused by global warming.
a) You’re totally wrong!
b) You could be right, but…
c) You must be right.
d) That’s a fair point.
7. Which of the following sentences does not express doubt?
a) Do you really think so?
b) That sounds about right, but I wonder if she sees it differently.
c) Not necessarily.
d) Sorry, I can’t accept that.
8. Which of the following sentences expresses doubt?
a) I have no idea what you mean!
b) I understand you perfectly.
c) I mostly agree, but could you explain a bit more.
d) I couldn’t disagree more.
1) b, 2) c, 3) a, 4) d, 5) a, 6) b, 7) d, 8) c.