英語的倒裝句多出現在正式演講和書面語中，但人們有時也會在日常會話中使用它來加強語氣。在否定倒裝句中，表否定含義的副詞或動詞前置，用來強調事物的特性。比如：Rarely has she produced such beautiful poetry. 她鮮少寫出如此美麗的詩句。
1. ______ heard more lies being told.
a) Never again have I
b) No sooner have I
c) Never have I
d) Under no circumstances have I
2. ______ driven all the way to work did I realise that I’d left my briefcase in the house.
a) Never before had I
b) Not until I had
c) At no time had I
d) Never had I
3. ______ of the fans that they sang their national anthem in the streets.
a) Hardly was the passion
b) Seldom was the passion
c) Rarely was the passion
d) Such was the passion
4. ______ must you try to touch the animals at the zoo. They are extremely dangerous.
b) Only after
c) Under no circumstances
d) Not only
5. ______ how expensive the restaurants would be.
a) Little did we realise
b) Not only did we realise
c) Rarely did we realise
d) No sooner
6. ______ created so much controversy.
a) No sooner has a piece of art
b) Little has a piece of art
c) Under no circumstances has a piece of art
d) Seldom has a piece of art
7. ______ when it started to rain.
a) Seldom had the wedding begun
b) Hardly had the wedding begun
c) Rarely had the wedding begun
d) Not until the wedding begun
8. ______ we had bought the house did we discover the secret room in the basement.
a) No sooner
c) Only after
1) c, 2) b, 3) d, 4) c, 5) a, 6) d, 7) b, 8) c.